Respiratory and Lung Diseases Covered by the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund
During the explosion and collapse of the World Trade Center towers on 9/11, building materials, electronic equipment, and furniture were pulverized and dust and debris filled the air in Lower Manhattan and lingered for months. The Ground Zero pile smoldered for months after the attacks and particulate matter was constantly being released into the air.
It’s no wonder that 9/11 responders suffer asthma rates twice as high as the general population or that there are steep declines in pulmonary functions among firefighters and EMS workers who were present on or after 9/11.
In addition to 9/11 cancers, the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund also compensates individuals who are suffering from respiratory illnesses and other medical conditions caused by exposure to 9/11 generated toxins. While many individuals were diagnosed and treated for conditions like asthma or sleep apnea several years ago, many workers, responders and residents are just now being properly diagnosed for the first time by medical centers, such as those established by the World Trade Center Health Program, which also treats 9/11 responders, workers and residents.
If you or a loved one suffer from one of the medical conditions listed below you may be eligible for compensation from the 9/11 Fund, but it is crucial that you act promptly. The following are 9/11-related medical conditions (other than the covered cancers, see the list of cancers here) eligible for compensation:
- Interstitial lung disease
- Chronic Respiratory Disorder
- Reactive Airways Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS)
- WTC-exacerbated Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic cough syndrome
- Upper airway hyper reactivity
- Chronic rhino sinusitis
- Chronic nasopharyngitis
- Chronic laryngitis
- Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disorder (GERD)
- Sleep apnea exacerbated by or related to the above conditions.
- Lower back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS)
- A chronic or recurrent disorders of the musculoskeletal system caused by heavy lifting or repetitive strain on the joints or musculoskeletal system
Trust and Legal Excellence
$1,338,000.00 Award for Lower Manhattan Financial Worker with lung cancer
$1,010,000.00 Award for court officer working in Downtown Manhattan suffering from ovarian cancer
Satisfied Clients’ Praise
“Always Responsive” - “Highly Recommend”“Mr. Borri and his staff have been wonderful since the beginning of the process, walking me through each step of the way. Always very responsive. I highly recommend this law firm."
— Eva – Brooklyn, NY
NYPD Worker – 9/11 Victim
Peer-rated AV, Very Highest in Ethical and Highest Level of Professional Excellence by the most respected legal rating service, 140 year-old Martindale-Hubbell legal directory
Contact Us for a Free Case Consultation
9/11 Cancer News
- How Do You Know If Your Cancer Is Caused By 9/11?
- Bill to Replenish Funding of 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund Gains Momentum
- 9/11 Hodgkin Lymphoma Victims Eligible for Compensation
- 9/11 Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Victims Eligible for Compensation
- 9/11 Colon and Rectal Cancer Victims Entitled to Compensation